Written by Lisa in Wharton Business Magazine, USA Today, About.com, National Geographic Intelligent Traveler, Purple Clover, Whole Life Magazine, The Guardian, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Impatient Optimists, and the Huffington Post. More articles: Touriosity, Travel Longer, The Myanmar Times, Jewish Journal, Johnny Jet, Los Angeles Mom Magazine, Dave’s Travel Corner, the PlanetD, Technorati.com, Westside Today, and Women’s Adventure Magazine.
Lisa Ellen Niver is a contributor to USA Today 10best about Los Angeles and the whole world.
- A Day Trip to Wicklow in the Irish Countryside: Find 40 shades of green at the filming location of several well-known films, such as “Braveheart”
- Whiskey Tasting in Dublin: Learn about the history of whiskey in Ireland, and have a drink or two
- A Romantic Date in Beverly Hills: Luxe Rodeo Drive Hotel and a show at Spaghettini
- Romantic LA: Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel and The Getty Center
- Stir Market: A Modern Market Hall for Los Angeles
- 10best lunch spots on Ventura Boulevard
- 10best salsa spots in Los Angeles
- 10best Peaceful Parks
- Tee’s on the Green: Tastiest Burger in Tujunga
- The NICE GUY: A Bar-Lounge Hybrid by h.wood Group
- 10Best Holiday Attractions in Los Angeles
- LA Live: A Pulsing Center of Downtown
- 10best Spas: Hidden Gems & High End Treatments in Los Angeles
- Wolfgang Puck: The Nest at WP24, The Ritz Carlton
- Rodeo Drive: Iconic and Historic Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Farmer’s Daughter: A Retro Property in the Fairfax District
- Spaghettini and the Dave Koz Lounge: Great Music, Fine Dining
- Ocean Prime Beverly Hills: Dining and Drinking with Style
- Explore Revelry in Beverly Hills at New Nightlife Hot Spots
Lisa was invited to write for Wharton Business Magazine. Her first article was Content Marketing is Conquering Your Customers. Her second article, Harnessing the Power of YouTube Marketing, was the most popular post on the site for seven days.
Her 3rd Post: How Empire Avenue Taught Me to Brandish My Gaming Badges had a tweet with a 4.1million reach! TWEET: “Why Lisa Ellen Niver C’89 (@wesaidgotravel) is now a believer in gamification and badges. http://whr.tn/1xWwRFN“
Whole Life Magazine: How I Stopped Binge Eating
“Our Sabbatical Adventure” was published on Purple Clover in August 2013.
“Five years ago, Apple’s App store opened, Kindle was brand-new, Skype was not yet a verb, and my then-boyfriend/now-husband George and I flew to Tahiti to start a one-year sabbatical adventure. I chose to leap for love and was unsure how a year on the road would play out. George and I met online and had an instant connection, in no small part due to a mutual passion for exotic travel. George said very early on in an email exchange, “We will at least be friends,” knowing that he had found a kindred spirit of wanderlust.” Read the full article.
A Royal Cremation in Ubud
To kick off our year-long trek through Southeast Asia, my husband and I spent two months exploring the Indonesian island of Bali with no set itinerary. While in the town of Ubud, home of the Balinese royal family, we saw that the Puri Agung Ubud were building a bade (cremation tower) and an enormous twenty-foot papier–mâché bull for a cremation ceremony for Prince Tjokorda Putra Dharma Yudha, so we decided to attend.
George’s article, Top Five Places to Visit in Myanmar is in About.com in the Asia Travel section. It begins: “Myanmar is an exotic country with an ancient heritage and distinctive culture. The landscape is often dotted with golden or white pagodas and fine, white-sand beaches line the coastline. Highlights include stunning temples, serene floating villages, as well as experiencing a unique religious culture and friendly local population.”
George wrote about Bagan, Inle Lake, Monwya, Shwedagon Pagoda and the world’s biggest book.
Thank you to Gemma Bowes from The Guardian Travel Section for including us in the article, “Backpacking: a guide to classic and new must-do experiences.” Our top picks include:
India: “ for quieter, lovelier sands, at Kudlee Beach, Om Beach.”
Mongolia: “multi-day trips by van into the Gobi Desert.”
Nepal: “Sarangkot, Pokhara, in Nepal offers parahawking”
Samoa: “Seeing sunrise at Falealupo, Samoa in the South Pacific.”
Lisa’s article in print in the Myanmar Times about the famous leg rowers and Phaung Daw Oo Pagoda Festival, one of the largest Buddhist celebrations in the country.
THE STORY: I did not realise that our hotel, the Golden Empress, would be located on a corner in the town of Nyaungshwe that would offer us a great view of the procession. Our seats on the second-floor balcony made me feel like Katie Couric at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. There was literally not a better seat in the country to see the golden Buddha images pass through the final tower on the way to the monastery for their three nights of rest.
Gates Foundation Impatient Optimists
Women’s Adventure Magazine has published Lisa’s stories about her family and her trials while traveling:
- Fifty Years of Adventure: Creating Your Own Blue Zone about her parents’ fiftieth wedding anniversary
- When Relationships Are Challenged by Extreme Travel about her travels and trials while traveling in Thailand with George.
- The Gilis of Indonesia: Which One is Right for You? Everyone can find the right place to enjoy in the world’s largest archipelago.
Read Lisa’s article in print in Touriosity Magazine about the Inle Lake Festival in Myanmar.
“My journeys have always included my curiosity for the people and culture of a location and my favorite thing is to see a festival and be able to share in local traditions.
National Geographic noted in its Jan/Feb 2011 magazine that “Burma is among the world’s most beguiling destinations,” and I agree. I was first in Burma in 2001 when I worked for Renaissance Cruises and as I watched the sun set over Shwedagon Pagoda, I knew I would be back.”
Read Lisa on the Huffington Post!!
- Kailua Beach a Tropical Oasis on Oahu Why does President Obama take his vacation in Kailua in Hawaii? Because it is amazing! See the sights with Lisa and George.
- Wandering Waikiki: Thanks to Will for sharing all the best spots of Waikiki with us-Join us for our hike, snorkel and our day of what you would do if you were a local in Oahu.
- Pearl Harbor: A Day to Remember. If you have not been yet to the Memorial at Pearl Harbor, move it to the top of your list. Lisa and George share stories and video to inspire you.
Dave’s Travel Corner
- Five Savvy Reads that feel like traveling including The Newlyweds, Cloak, Then Came You, American Dervish and Letter from a Stranger.
- Vietnam: Where is the Ho Chi Minh Trail? Ever wondered why the United States was bombing Cambodia and Laos if we were in a war with Viet Nam? Learn a bit of geography and history while traveling with Lisa.
Give Yourself Time: The Joy of Taking a Break
Friends and family ask us, “How do you do it? How do you manage to leave for a year?” Others say, “You are crazy; I would never do that!” but …Vagabonding’ is about taking time off from your normal life — from six weeks, to four months, to two years — to discover and experience the world on your own terms. Read more…
The Elusive Matsu Pilgrimage of Penghu
Westside Today: Travel as a lens for Reflection
Lisa and George have written dozens of articles on technorati.com in the travel, lifestyle, video, and family sections since September 2010.Please use this link to see a list of all their articles.
Los Angeles Mom Magazine: Science and Your Child
Not all of us can make a commitment to nature like Henry David Thoreau to go live on Walden Pond, but we do not have to go to such lengths to inspire our children to love nature. By creating wonder and a connection to the environment we can all protect our planet. Read more…